IMPORTANT TO NOTE: While we will remain open to meeting in person, in response to COVID-19, we are offering clients the ability to connect via telephone or video conference should they prefer. Please call the office to discuss your options further.

Assertive Representation In State & Federal Court

Could I be charged with drug possession for prescription drugs?

On Behalf of | Jul 25, 2019 | Drug Crimes

When people think of drug crimes, they often think of possessing or distributing illegal substances, such as cocaine, LSD and heroin. However, possessing any drug without a prescription can result in criminal charges. In fact, with the prevalence of prescription drug abuse these days, law enforcement and criminal courts have been focused on cracking down on illegal prescription drug use and distribution.

In Ohio, possession or distribution of prescription drugs such as Oxycodone, Percocet and Xanax can result in serious legal consequences. Under Ohio Revised Code, Section 2925.11, prescription drug possession charges could result in a loss of a driver’s license, fines, probation and jail time. In addition to legal consequences, additional consequences occur due to the conviction on one’s record. For instance, those convicted may be disqualified from getting a loan or professional license, or have difficulty getting a job.

If you have been charged with a drug crime, your attorney can come up with some arguments that may benefit your defense. For instance, your attorney may find that arresting officers failed to read you your Miranda Rights or violated your Fourth Amendment rights by conducting an illegal search and seizure. Any evidence officers obtained illegally may be thrown out of your case altogether.

Facing charges relating to a prescription drug crime can be difficult, but an experienced drug defense attorney in your area may be able to help defend you against these charges. In some cases, your attorney may be able to negotiate a plea deal, where you plead guilty to reduced charges and avoid severe sentencing. It may be in your best interest to consult with an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options.

FindLaw Network