IMPORTANT TO NOTE: While we will remain open to meeting in person, in response to COVID-19, we are offering clients the ability to connect via telephone or video conference should they prefer. Please call the office to discuss your options further.

Assertive Representation In State & Federal Court

Ohio man indicted for involvement money laundering scheme

On Behalf of | Jun 27, 2019 | White Collar Crimes

Earlier this month, we discussed how money laundering in Ohio can result in felony charges. A man from Mason, Ohio was recently indicted for his alleged involvement in a money laundering scheme. The man, along with a man from Denver, Colorado, were indicted on various charges including misrepresentation in the sale of securities, money laundering, theft, securities fraud, and selling securities without a license. Arrest warrants were apparently issued for the two men.

According to prosecutors, the men are responsible for the theft of over $1.8 million from two Meigs County residents in 2013 and 2014. The Ohio man allegedly solicited the two individuals to invest in various companies that were involved in purchasing and developing website domains. He is accused of laundering the individuals’ money through accounts under the name of businesses owned by the Colorado man. The men then put the laundered money towards their other businesses as well as their own personal accounts.

There are many different types of white collar crimes, and all can result in serious criminal penalties. Fraud generally refers to wrongful deception for the purposes of financial or personal gain. However, there are many possible defenses you can use to defend yourself against the fraud charges you face.

For example, the prosecutor must be able to prove that you had the requisite criminal intent to commit the crime in question. Your defense attorney may be able to get your case thrown out altogether if he or she can poke holes in the prosecutor’s evidence of intent. Business owners and other individuals accused of financial crimes should contact an experienced attorney for assistance with your specific case.

FindLaw Network